Thursday, May 1, 2014

His Love is Strong

I spoke to a friend of mine today and said - "I'm so excited because I'm reading the book of Matthew." And in her excitement to know where I am in Matthew, she chuckled at the fact that I'm still in chapter one! YES, chapter one of the book of Matthew. To be more specific, I'm hung up on verse 2.

The genealogy of Jesus - my Messiah - is INCREDIBLE.

I'm going through and reading Matthew and going back to Genesis to read through the stories of those mentioned in the first 17 verses of the first chapter and I'm writing down trigger words/phrases to help me remember whose who.

And coming to Matthew 1:2, I'm at a complete...STOP...and I'm in the process of DIGESTING.
 Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, and Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers.

I went back and read the story of Jacob in Genesis.

Jacob meets Rachel and it's love at first sight. He'll do whatever it takes to win her father over for her to be his bride. Jacob gets tricked into working 7 years for his father in law to end up with Rachel's older sister, Leah (whose name means weary, btw). Jacob didn't want Leah. He wanted Rachel. So he works another 7 years to get the okay from the father in law to marry Rachel. And I'm sure by the time he marries Rachel he is wiped out, but still he is in the clouds - walking on moonbeams - in love with Rachel.

This is the part that got me choked up with the realization that God is using every story in the Bible to show us He loves us!

From Genesis:

31 Now the Lord saw that Leah was [j]unloved, and He opened her womb, but Rachel was barren. 32 Leah conceived and bore a son and named him [k]Reuben, for she said, “Because the Lord has [l]seen my affliction; surely now my husband will love me.” 33 Then she conceived again and bore a son and said, “Because the Lord has [m]heard that I am [n]unloved, He has therefore given me this son also.” So she named him Simeon. 34 She conceived again and bore a son and said, “Now this time my husband will become [o]attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” Therefore he was named Levi. 35 And she conceived again and bore a son and said, “This time I will [p]praise the Lord.” Therefore she named him [q]Judah.

So often we want the attention and affection of others. I want to do this or that & think, "Now he/she will approve." As silly as it sounds, I do it. And it's wearisome! It truly is. And you know what! God saw Leah - who I am CERTAIN grew weary of trying to prove herself worthy of love - and wanted to show her how she IS loved and she doesn't have to prove it. She just has to see it. Realize it. Accept it.


She had not one, but THREE BOYS and after each of the first three boys she thought - "Man, Now my handsome husband Jacob is going to love me!!" Can you imagine how much work having three boys is!?!? And how much work it is to try convince someone who doesn't love you to love you?

No wonder her name is Leah. She is one TIRED woman!!

But God in His grace allowed her to have one more son. And this time she recognized that these boys were good and perfect gifts from God. And she praised God. She praised God when she realized that GOD LOVED HER! So she named her son Judah - meaning praise.

I cried. I mean. I cried.

This year more than ever, I've found myself looking for approval from others. And when you're looking for approval and you're shoved to the side...Mocked...Pushed on to someone else or sometimes straight up ignored...it sucks.

But I've had reminder after reminder, that I'm seeking approval from the wrong people. And this story was the most significant. Leah, the weary unloved woman, bore a son name Judah and his brothers. Her offspring were found worthy to be mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus! Not just Judah - but Judah and his brothers!!

Isn't that BEAUTIFUL!?!

Now watch and sing along!!
 








No comments:

Post a Comment